Monday, July 11, 2011

Blog Worthy

I've been rather slack these past couple of months, not that there hasn't been a huge amount of bloggable stuff to blog about, but I've just been so busy doing that bloggable stuff I haven't found the time to blog.  Phew, does that make sense?

Anyway, I just had to share what happened to my dear family this past weekend while on a shopping trip to Costco.  It was one day never to be forgotten.

As we were heading out of the store with our cart of non-essentials essentials from Costco on Saturday, we had no idea what was just about to happen.  The girls were arguing over who got to take the receipt and hand in to the worker at the door to get stamped.  Aylish jumped off the front of the cart where she had been riding and the wheel hit her toe - ripping her toenail right clean off.  There was blood, and tears, and more blood and lots more tears.  

We were dealing with the injured foot when all of a sudden I heard a bunch of noise, I turned around I saw Shannon laying on the floor.  I heard the thud, but didn't realize that that was the sound of my little girls head hitting the concrete floor.  She had fainted and was having a small seizure.  As I held her and called for help a wonderful nurse who saw it happen came running and took over her care.  I just sat over Shannon, holding her hand and calling her name.  It was probably the scariest thing I've had to deal with.  Here poor sisters sobbing as the events unfolded.  Watching your child in such a state is something I don't wish on anyone.  She was out for about 20 seconds, though it seemed a lifetime and then slowly came around. I was so thankful for the fantastic lady who came to our aid, I only wish I got the opportunity to thank her, she left before I even realized she was gone.

It was scary, for all of us.  Except maybe Shannon who can't remember any of it - all she could say when we got her up on a chair was "this is so embarrassing".  

As everything started settling down, I felt hot, clammy and sick - sure sign that I too was about to faint - luckily I'm older and recognized the signs and sat myself down.  As I sat down I looked up to see Rylee - pale, hot and clammy complaining she didn't feel well.  She too was pulled to the floor beside me and handed a sick bag.  What a sight.




May this be a once in a lifetime experience (thanks Keira for the pictures).  


I had explained to Aylish that it wasn't possible for me to find her toenail so it could be fixed, despite her request.  She will have to wait for 3-6 months for a new one, then we'll get them painted again, all 10 of them.  For now, she's just loving the 9 she has.  Shannon is taking it easy for a few days while she recovers from her concussion.  

As the Worsey trauma unit left Costco and climbed into the van, just to put the icing on the cake, Richard sat on his glasses and broke them.  He was feeling left out of the action I guess.

I am thankful for my family and for the blessings my Heavenly Father has given me and continues to give me.

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, this is a Costco trip you will never forget. I cannot imagine all of that happening in one trip. I am glad to hear Richard was with you. I used the picture of the missing toenail to remind my girls to be careful around those big carts. I hope your girls are okay. BTW, I love reading your blog. The pole post cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete